General guidance for a new, older, student. [30. M. USA]

I spent the last few years in S. Korea teaching English to kids. Sadly, I did not learn Korean well enough to say I am anywhere near fluent. I studied it intensely during my first year, but once I learned enough to get by I plateaued and didn't push myself to learn anymore. I got lost in teaching the kids and partying too hard to commit to pushing myself, but now both of those distractions are gone.

I have been home in the US for a few months now and I am starting to miss the atmosphere of hearing a foreign language wherever I go, so I am thinking about studying a language. I am not sure what language I want to study yet, but I know that I want to put forth the effort to learn.

First and foremost, I do better at learning in a classroom setting, so I have spent some time looking at classes near me. I am capable of studying and practicing alone, but I enjoy having the reinforcement, authority figure, and peers near my same skill level to help guide me through whatever I am learning. I live in Virginia currently, so I have access to some great universities and community colleges. I am not looking to "go back to school" because I do not want to take out more student loans. I was fortunate enough to pay off my loans for my MA while in Korea and do not want to go back into debt like that again.

Besides looking at universities, what should I be looking at? I saw that the US government offers programs for younger students entering college to learn critical languages, but I already earned my master's in education and I'm not currently attending a college. I would love to find a program that could help me learn one of these critical languages. I am not afraid to pay for schooling, but I was wondering if there were other options that could open more doors such as scholarships.

I am open to traveling abroad since I don't have much in the US holding me here. Honestly, I would love to learn a language and move to a country that uses it and really dive deep into learning it, but that is a pipe dream currently.

If you guys could point me in the right direction for finding information that would be wonderful. I feel like I have a very broad idea of what I want to do, but need some guidance to help me narrow down my possibilities. As I am writing this, I can tell that I am currently more lost than I realized and looking for some general guidance.

Thanks guys.

submitted by /u/LoveConnection
[link] [comments]

from வணக்கம் | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2IFwfnr
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments