A question about "fluency"

A few weeks ago I raised a question in a response to another thread regarding this subject but I think it was too hidden away to get much visibility. I've continued to think about it though and would be very interested to see other people's understanding of it.

For people who consider themselves "fluent" in a non-native language, do you find your vocabulary (both active and passive) considerably smaller than that of your native language? For example if I go into a hardware store I can give a name to pretty much everything I see. I could probably come up with about 10 generic names in my L2; I could say something was a saw but not that it was a tenon saw or a hacksaw. If you see a picture of a platypus do you know the word in your L2?

submitted by /u/Serifini
[link] [comments]

from வணக்கம் | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LIBT67
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments