I got tired of paying for sentence mining tools, so I built a free one that runs on your own machine

I got tired of paying for sentence mining tools, so I built a free one that runs on your own machine

I've been learning Catalan off TV for about a year and the tooling kept annoying me. The stuff that does sentence mining properly is a subscription. The free stuff supports Japanese, maybe Spanish, and that's where it stops.

It's called LinguaMiner and everything runs locally.

You point it at a video (a file, a YouTube link, a stream) and it transcribes with Whisper if there are no subs. Every word in the subtitle is clickable. Click one and you get a dictionary popup with definitions, frequency, part of speech, pronunciation. Hit enter and it goes to Anki as a card with the audio of that sentence, a screenshot of the frame, the sentence, and a translation.

The bit that took longest was working out which words to even suggest, and it's the bit I'd actually defend. Most i+1 finders highlight any sentence where you know all but one word. Sounds right. Works badly. Now a word only lights up if it's unknown, clears a frequency floor tied to how much vocabulary you have, and isn't a proper noun. Similar to Migaku but local (and free)

Other things it does:

Condensed audio. Exports an MP3 with only the dialogue of an episode, so a 50 minute show comes out around 20. Good for headphones on the metro.

Reads your Anki review intervals back, so words you've matured stop being highlighted. The subtitle stays a live picture of what you know instead of a separate list that drifts.

If you already study the language, point it at one of your existing decks and it marks those words known so you don't start from zero. It won't touch anything you've set yourself.

Podcasts and radio work too, not just video.

Right now: Catalan, French, English, German, European Portuguese, translating into Spanish or English. Adding a language is close to one entry in a config file, so ask if yours is missing and I'll go see what data exists for it.

Free, MIT, no account, no telemetry, nothing leaves your computer.

https://github.com/thecopybookhare-cmd/lingua-miner

Tell me what's missing. I built it for myself, so I'm sure there are obvious things I haven't thought of.

(TL)

submitted by /u/neocbh
[link] [comments]


from Language Learning https://ift.tt/zCXUKxA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments