Hi
Writing this in English to reach a wider audience, mais si vous parlez français vous pouvez me répondre aussi en français.
I have been applying for other work because I am trying to move to either Ottawa or Québec City.
My English is native level with regards to accent but sometimes I am missing vocabulary because I usually read and watch videos in French.
I did my bachelor's in an English university.
But because I worked primarily in French for seven years I don't have the same English vocabulary as I used to and I consume most of my media in French and talk to my friends who are Francophone in French.
I am trying to get better at French because I am looking for work in rural Québec and possibly Ottawa where it is very important. This is priority number one.
Some of my family is Francophone.
I had an official evaluation done by a professor the other day because I've been applying for work and she put me at a C1 level in French.
Any ideas of how to go from C1 to C2 ?
Have you guys done it and if so, what helped ?
I just feel stuck at this level and want to improve.
My Mum was a francophobe and I really had to struggle to fix my accent because it was off.
I am in Canada and have a lot of chances to speak French. I even speak French at work to a lot of people although the nature of my job this is more English than my previous jobs.
I call all my customer service and banking services in French. I take every chance to speak and read my news mostly in French etc.
If you guys went from C1 to C2 what worked ? I understand mostly everything that I read, hear etc and I am fully able to speak but there are traces of an accent at times that give away the English. I've been doing shadowing to fix it.
I understand that there are many places in Canada where you don't need French to work but that's not my objective here. I've always loved Québec and still do.
Additionally I am brown and the racism in the RoC against brown people is kind of scaring me. I don't want to move to Toronto or Calgary and have to deal with racism on the street. When I read posts online by English Canadian the comments are disgusting.
Québec has its fair share of racism but against brown people it isn't that bad according to my experience.
The professor said my accent was good enough and it was typical of someone who speaks both languages every day. I have an English accent in French and a French accent in English (where my Québécois/Acadiens at ??)
I would appreciate any advice. Merci.
[link] [comments]
from Language Learning https://ift.tt/DtKNG7w
via Learn Online English Speaking
Comments
Post a Comment