I have noticed this point I hit with (TL) input where I just kinda start understanding everything. It's like hitting critical mass or something. I begin understanding everything that is said.
I have been hearing in the community this pushback against the 1000 most common words lists and such. Like from this Youtuber "Evildea", for example. There are challenges of people learning like 20,000 words. I get that can be needed for output, but what about just input? I feel like this phenomenon I have been witnessing kinda covers all of it. I have been hearing this assumption that if you don't know 100% of the words then you can't get 100% comprehension? But I don't think that's true.
When this phenomenon starts hitting then I just start understanding everything. Btw, the content I use for the CI is stuff like mainly podcasts and Youtube. I had done books a little too though. I have hit this point with Italian. It was so surprising how I was understanding the whole thing from start to finish almost all of a sudden. It's like a switch happened. But the thing is, I sucked at Italian. I had not learned it in its entirety at all. So how come I was understanding everything? I got curious and I payed more attention to the words being spoken. And what I found out is that there were words there that I didn't really know. Which makes sense because I was still sorta a beginner. And yet I was comprehending it 100%. I wasn't even realizing there were words I was supposed not to know. My brain was silently understanding it all from the context. That's what I am talking about. I believe that if I saw the word isolated I'd have no clue what it meant. So I don't really know the word but I get 100% comprehension anyways. Without noticing the words that are supposed to be missing.
My learning method is currently pure CI. Pure comprehensible input. I am only learning European languages mainly so far so I have it easy. I am aware this may not work anymore with languages that are more distant. I already had challenges with German. Though I have been starting to hit this with German too as of late. There are words I am supposed not to know but I just get what they mean in the context I find them in. Could all of this be just because it's European languages? I have been doing some Japanese as of late but I mainly have been doing the European ones. Evildea learns Mandarin Chinese so maybe it's just different there. But I don't know. With Italian there are words that I surely could not have possibly known before, and yet this works with them. It's possible though that I have had some experience with the words beforehand with the CI. I believe there's different stages to acquisition. Like I have seen this stage where a common word appears a lot now that I somehow had never heard before.
So, anyways. There's this phenomenon I've been seeing. What would you guys call it? And do people like Evildea not know about it or something? I got the impression that they're saying you gotta learn 100% of the words to get 100% listening comprehension. I don't get it. If the material was each word isolated then I'd get it. But there is context. And there is this phenomenom. Learning the most common words works. Well, if you do it through CI, at least. I wonder what this is about.
[link] [comments]
from Language Learning https://ift.tt/UiHoXOn
via Learn Online English Speaking
Comments
Post a Comment