Visual mnemonic system for plural forms?

I recently bought the book Fluent Forever and devoured it. It was worth the price for the masculine/feminine/neuter mnemonic alone. I think I’m going to incorporate at least some of the concepts into my Anki workflow.

One thing I’m still trying to figure out is how to handle plural forms in languages that have multiple patterns. I’m wondering whether anyone has come up with a good visual mnemonic system for them, similar to the gender mnemonics.

Would you:
- put three images on the back of the card (the main image, a gender cue, and a plural cue), or
- keep only the main image on the card and let the gender/plural mnemonics exist purely in your imagination?

I’m aware that Gabe, the author of the book, advises not to use auxiliary stuff unless it’s actually needed, so I’m not looking to clutter every card unnecessarily. I’m mainly curious how others have balanced the need to remember plural patterns with keeping cards simple.

For context, my target language is German (TL), which has nine different plural formation patterns (-, - +, -e, -e +, -er, -er +, -n, -en, -s). But I imagine this question could apply to other languages with multiple plural systems as well.

I’d love to hear how you’ve solved this.

submitted by /u/SquareArtisan
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/PFKvIbj
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments