(self-promotion) Online Kalenjin Dictionary

I've been working on a website, https://kalenj.in, to document Kalenjin, in particular my teacher's Kipsigis dialect, spoken throughout much of Kenya. The Kalenjin people are famous for having produced many of the world's top middle- and long-distance runners and about 60% of Kalenjin speakers speak Kipsigis.

I have been collecting words and sentences from our lessons and chats and have put together a website to host all of the information and serve as a Kalenjin dictionary and corpus. We have also recently begun working on creating lessons for learning Kalenjin based around stories my teacher's written. Most of the sentences have been manually parsed so you can see what each individual word in the sentence means, and most words and sentences have audio recordings as well from a native speaker.

We just hit 1,000 words (and are approaching 2,000 sentences) in the dictionary and I thought it was time to share the site with others in the hopes someone else is also trying to learn the language.

(If there are any native speakers interested in adding words, sentences, stories, recording audio, taking pictures of local plants and animals, etc. please get in touch!)

My next goal is to hit 5,000 words!

I'd also love to help set up something similar for other folks working on documenting other languages with fewer resources.

(TL)

submitted by /u/sxtelisto
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/8PjGfqw
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments