Would learning to speak help with reading and listening?

I have been learning Biblical Hebrew for over 10 years. I have taken multiple breaks which has caused me to forget parts of it and why it has taken so long.

I have decided I want to learn Modern Hebrew now. My main interests are reading and listening. While traveling may happen in the future, at this time I have no plans. So speaking isn't really necessary for me.

I would like to learn faster than I have in the past. I know that means more practice more often. But I have been wondering, would learning to speak help me learn better/faster to read and listen? Or would that just distract me from my goals?

Are there any reasons to learn to speak other than wanting to speak?

To not break Rule 5, I would like this discussion to be about learning in general, not specifically Hebrew. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

PS. I am aware that you only learn what you practice, so eg., speaking won't magically make me a great reader.

submitted by /u/Reasonable_Sport_754
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/enrJVmc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments