Would learning another language in the same branch interfere or is it a good idea?

Hello everyone!

Pardon me if my question counts as "What language I should learn" in advance.

I have been studying a few different languages in a row, in the same branch (Germanic). Once I feel a little comfortable, I was interested in learning another language (Dutch) but the things I learn started to feel similar. It is fun nonetheless. I was wondering whether starting to learn a new one would be a disservice and I should mix a Romance or Slavic etc. instead before diving into my target language, as a kind of palate cleanser.

I wonder if you have been in a similar situation, what have you gone through? I found rather controversial opinions on the internet too, although they seem personal and not scientific so far. Some say it may interfere, some say cognates will be helpful to pick up the language faster and so on.

Thank you very much for reading. Have a wonderful day!

submitted by /u/redpepperflake
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/lH2kugB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments