Why does casual conversation feel more difficult than uni studies?

Anyone else struggling with this issue? I'm theoretically fluent in my TL, I recently moved to a country where TL is spoken to study a university degree (in said language.) I can read scientific articles related to my field in my TL without problems, and the lectures haven't been bad either.

However, I suddenly find myself linguistically struggling with very casual situations that were definitely covered in A1-level classes. Ordering a latte at a café? The barista had to repeat the question of whether my order was to-go 3 times as my brain short-circuited. I occasionally misunderstand very simple small talk with my friends. And so on...

Every time this happens, I feel like I want to put my head through a wall. I tested C1 in reading and B2 in the rest roughly a year ago and I have learnt a lot since then, so my skills should technically be up there... Any advice and/or support would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/penpalskrt
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/GECVBKQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments