How would you design your own mini-immersion program?

I am planning a trip to a country that speaks my target language (Spanish) for Late January / early February. I am looking primarily at Mexico City or Cartagena. The trip would be 3~4 weeks

I would consider myself mid-intermediate, as I can follow prepared speeches and easy native media such as cartoons, but spontaneous conversation and advanced media are just out of my reach. I hope that over the next 4.5 months, I will have improved and will be in a good enough position to get the most out of an immersive experience.

Considering the following, how would you plan/organize this trip, and what would you suggest:

  • I would still be working remotely from 9~5. Part of the reason I am looking at these two cities is because of the time zone(s).
  • I would be solo for the majority if not the entirety of the trip.
    • I am a large and athletic black man. So while I would stand out walking down the street in Mexico, I could perhaps blend in in Colombia. I mention this because while I will do my best to keep myself safe, I know safety considerations are different for women.
  • I can spend a decent amount of money because of the cost of living/currency difference. I work a white-collar job in a major US city. I couldn't afford to live luxuriously for a month straight but could spend on services and everyday experiences pretty easily.
  • I am a fan of both arts and sports, but am not very interested in food.

This is what I have thought of so far:

  • Find a restaurant / cafe to eat at for breakfast every morning and get to know the staff there
  • While I don't expect there to be great coworking spaces, I will definitely look for them so I won't be in my hotel / airbnb by myself from 9-5 all day.
  • Join a gym / fitness studio and take classes every day or every other day.
  • Having in person sessions with a coach a few times per week
  • Find a restaurant / bar for dinner and get to know the staff there.
  • On weekends, find tours and museums that are conducted in Spanish.

Still, this seems not very full to me. I recognize that since I am going by myself and still working 9-5, it makes it more difficult. So what would you do? If you had a month in a city to immerse yourself, but still had to work, how would you spend your free time?

submitted by /u/bhouse114
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/YsBH40X
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments