Vocabulary ovethinker here. Am I hindering my learning?

Hi. When I'm learning language, I tend to be quite attentive to detail and nuance in all its aspects. But the one thing I'm seemingly overattentive about is vocabulary. When I'm learning new words, I'm not comfortable without trying to really understand them by inquiring their nuance and geist, and trying to (often painstakingly) find insightful example sentences that are (especially if I'm a beginner) simple enough. When I pay that much effort to every single word, naturally some prove to be tougher (or richer :>) words and can take up to 15 minutes of my time to finish taking their note in my vocabulary notebook.

I wonder, is this type of vocabulary acquisition at the end of the day more efficient (because higher the effort, the more deeply I learn them and remember them because of the history), or less efficient and almost a waste of time? Thanks in advance, I'm curious about you guys' experience and knowledge on this.

submitted by /u/oud_hero
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/j1vRO45
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments