Ranking UN Official Languages by “Brevity”/“Efficiency”

I’m someone who is fluent in English and French and have noticed that English is virtually always more concise than French in written communications that detail the exact same ideas. (I live in Ottawa, so I tend to see a lot of simultaneous textual information in both English and French since both are Canada’s official languages.)

A thought that I’ve always had is the following: which languages are the “briefest” or “most efficient at conveying information”? I’m fairly certain that English > French in this regard, but how would we rank the six Official UN Languages?

For reference, the six languages are as follows: 1. English 2. French 3. Spanish 4. Russian 5. Chinese (esp. Mandarin) 6. Arabic

submitted by /u/AnyConstruction7539
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/i7CaXFb
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments