Is Free-Flow Immersion a waste of time? (JLPT N3)

I feel like my attempt at Language Immersion has been a total failure these past ~4 years.

Since January 7th of 2021 I stopped watching anime with English subtitles, like the anime fan that I am, and switched to watching anime raw without subtitles. The fact that this hasn’t worked out that well feels like a double failure since not only has my Japanese not improved rapidly, but as an anime fan I haven’t been able to understand the shows that I love for nearly 4 years.

Obviously, I could have re-watched shows with English subs or vice versa but I watch anime seasonally and I try to keep up with all of the hottest shows. That ends up being 5+ shows per week at a minimum. So, if I want to watch 5+ shows per season and I decide to watch them with English subtitles I’d be watching 10+ shows per season which doesn’t seem possible considering I already struggle to keep up with seasonal anime like most anime fans. Also, I only watch shows that I’m personally interested in, I’m not watching shows because I feel I have to, I’m just watching what appeals to me.

Is passive immersion a waste of time or is it the bedrock of language immersion? I’ve been passive immersing for about 1-2hrs a day for nearly 4 years and it hasn’t helped me much.

submitted by /u/IOSSLT
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/7Xc6Z2a
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments