fluent in 1,5y - Japanese or Mandarin?

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm planning on taking a government exam in 1,5years for which I'll have to be fluent in either Mandarin or Japanese (as in actual fluency, written, spoken etc, being able to discuss various geopolitical, historical, cultural matters) and am therefore going to take 4h/week lessons in my chosen language starting next month (+ will obviously do self-study too).

For context, my native languages are French and German, and I'm also fluent in English. I also currently have an intermediate level in Korean, which I reached in about 7 months - 3 months of intensive self-study, then 1h30/week classes for 2 months, have since slowed my learning pace bc of other commitments though I talk to my boyfriend in Korean on a daily basis so I'm still learning some new words every week (and 3h/week classes will resume next month).

I'm aware that both Mandarin and Japanese are very difficult languages so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action and trying to decide which language to pick based on how quickly it would take me to reach fluency (starting from nothing).

Here are the conclusions I've reached so far:

I've gathered that Japanese and Korean share similiarities when it comes to grammar, which would definitely be of help + boyfriend also speaks fluent Japanese and is more than willing to help me learn

Mandarin has easier grammar but pronunciation and ESPECIALLY writing is the really tricky part.

From a personal standpoint, I'll admit that I'm a bit more intrigued by Mandarin (because of how different it is to the languages I already know). But I honestly highly doubt reaching that kind of fluency in Mandarin is doable within my desired timeframe.

Still, I'd appreciate any word of advice :)

submitted by /u/Mel8394
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/YJ7EyDn
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments