When can I switch

Hi all currently contemplating switching to new language as I face burnout after learning a language for so long. To start off I took Spanish from 1st grade to 12th giving me a good understanding of the language but, it is an American class which meant an unnecessary focus on culture and not verb tenses or other key grammatical aspects. After my last class I thought it was stupid and that I wouldn’t ever use it. That was until I took a gap year and started meeting people from all over the world. Not only did I speak Spanish with those that often couldn’t speak English that well and understand how powerful and useful it could be I was surrounded by friends from the Netherlands Germany and Switzerland that could speak 3-4 well and felt a mix of shame and inspiration. After that I made it a goal to get it over with. I can speak it to a b1 level but feel so stuck. I’ve found other languages that I have a deep passion for. I wouldn’t say I don’t have a passion for Spanish It just it can be hard when the only people around me that speak it are kids of immigrants who’d rather just talk in English. This brought me to the idea of pausing and if it’s possible to stop where I am and still keep the progress I’ve made. I feel drawn to explore other languages and don’t think I can do much now living in a predominantly English speaking country, so was wondering if anyone has done this with success

submitted by /u/Lost-Spread3771
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/07U3umF
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments