Best way to pick up on the pitch accent in Slovene as a native speaker of a stress-based language?

Hello everyone!

I've been learning Slovene for some time now and I have been having a blast. After my initial Slavophobia due to the case system that seemed way less regular than in the ancient languages I was used to, I have conquered most of the morphology and have built a pretty decent basic vocabulary.

For those who do not know, Slovene has two varieties; A pitch accent variety, and a stress accent variety. The former one is particularly spoken around the capital of Ljubljana and as a result a more prestigious one. However, due to the fact the stress based variant is also accepted, almost all learning materials cater to the second one.

I have been learning Slovene using the pitch accent via the official dictionary and a few other rare resources. While I do feel like I could technically mark pitch on words correctly now, and can pronounce them quite decently (or at least, I feel so) from my experience with Classical Chinese at university for two semesters, I am not sure how I should go about absorbing them.

I know for certain I am not able to distinguish them well in normal speech and I only have about a 70% success rate when I find slower speech. As a result, I don't think immersion would be good for learning how to speak naturally and quickly with a correct pitch accent. I also don't have the abundance of resources that languages like Japanese do for the pitch accent.

My question, then, is how I can make the best of the tools I have at my disposal, those being the following:
1) A (pretty cheap) tutor that doesn't know what it is but has a flawless very good accent
2) A (pretty expensive) tutor that has knowledge of the pitch accent
3) A bunch of media with the pitch accent being us
4) My knowledge of how the pitch accent behaves

Any insights, preferably from e.g Japanese learners, would be highly appreciated!

submitted by /u/sarvabhashapathaka
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/7dQX6KV
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments