Self-teaching a language

Hello!
I only speak English but I've always been interested in learning a language. I've noticed that Dutch is very similar to English so I was wanting to get into learning it. However I'm not in a position right now where I could get proper lessons so I've decided I'm going to find as many reliable resources as possible and begin to learn at home.

My end goal is not really to be able to speak the language (although I'd love to) but my main goals are to be able to read, write and be able to understand Dutch whilst it's being spoken to me.

I see a lot of people begin learning languages starting with greetings however I was wondering if it would be easier to begin to learn it as if I were teaching a baby to begin talking? Like learning the alphabet, then counting to ten, colours etc? I'm also not very good with motivation so if I can master more simple parts like that then I'll be able to push myself to learn more.

How easy is it to learn a language alone and do you think it will work?

submitted by /u/VesperalRhino
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3ZRMOaC
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments