difficulty learning a subject in a foreign language

I am somewhat fluent in one of my foreign languages. Not native-level, but maybe advanced. I bought a lot of books in that language so I can study history in depth. However, the large number of words I don’t know, together with the sheer amount of knowledge I’m not familiar with, is making this an impossible task. I am moving at a snail’s pace and I am already quite a slow reader/learner to begin with. I really want to learn all the facts and words, but I’m at a loss. Just reading doesn’t really do much because this is not like reading fiction or an essay, where you can keep reading and fill in knowledge gaps as you got along. It is really hard if I don’t write out words, but just one page of reading ends up with me writing out around 5 pages of unknown words. I need to know all these words anyway, but the speed is way too slow. It will take me years to finish this book and I wouldn’t even remember any of it. I don’t want to give up on this undertaking. What should I do?

submitted by /u/plumblossomsatnight
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/nNWPaJr
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments