1 year of learning from scratch!! (Native like fluency?) 😳

It's been a year since I started learning German because it sounded ok so here I am. The truth is I've done such a horrible job, and that's why I'm doing this post.

Firstly, I want to say I haven't been consistent. And by saying that we all know why I failed. You can even stop reading if you want. xD Because yeah even if you create/follow a good method you're not going to get anywhere if there's no consistency. (Sorry for the clickbait)

So if any of you get something out of this I want it to be "just do something". It doesn't matter whether thats Duolingo or Rosetta stone, like, a Duolingo user who's been consistent 365 days is going to know more German than me, so ducking go for it if you want. 🥵

Why haven't I been able to stay consistent? There's a few reasons that explain why I've been struggling to get study hours (and, again, the method wasn't the problem, it was always a me problem so if you do something similar to me don't worry you'll do fine): 1. It's frustrating dawg xD I did not understand shid. :' I knew it was going to feel discouraging at times. However I genuinely thought it wasn't going to make me skip not even one day of German, but I was wrong.

  1. Apps like Duo were driving me crazy every time I misgendered a noun so I stopped using them (tbf not planning on going back to using them). I only used them for like 1 week and a half.

  2. I don't find any content interesting; once I learned a few hundred words I said to myself "hell yeah less watch some Peppa pig n native content" 😏 but kept falling asleep. I did not understand enough to be interested 😔 which made me then realize there were a bunch of videos for beginners which were probably understandable for me... D: 🤯 the same thing happened. xD It was understandable but it's not for me. So the mistake I made was overestimate my ability to deal with ambiguity/stress.

Anyway... What am I going to do next? Keep learning. I want my last words to be in German. 😏😳 like Einstein, my favorite singer. I'll continue to watch native content, I'll just watch whatever as long as i get input. I'll continue to increase my vocabulary since this is the main reason why I don't understand native content (ill use Anki), and that's it, maybe some grammar from time to time. I should be fine as long as I'm consistent. Thanks for reading! 😁 And any piece of advice is appreciated however it's just a post to remind myself I need to do better.

Questions you may ask:

  1. "Why not change the language you're learning? Maybe it's because of its difficult grammar". Honestly I don't want to change it, and I'm aware of its grammar and it's one of the things that excites me rather than making me feel discouraged.

  2. "Why not supplement with a textbook/resources for beginners instead of just doing Anki & immersion?" Vocabulary is all I need tbh, and I don't know of any other way of learning vocab apart from anki+immersion.

submitted by /u/thNith_
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/s26K3NV
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments