Anyone else not bother with basic phrases for a while?

I love learning languages but I hate memorising the phrases like "see you later" and "what is your name." I'm also very bad at it.

As I am too poor to actually travel, my language use is limited to talking to myself and writing on the computer other than Spanish which I actually use. I am also an introvert, so I will not awkwardly strike up a conversation with people in a Chinatown either. So basic phrases often are very useless to me I guess and they don't come up in my studying (which is mostly just reading books/etc and translating the words I don't know, writing them down + grammatical structures), I usually get around to them a while after being able to write, for example, this message in the TL.

I'm wondering if this is completely unheard of?

Also, I don't like how the U.S. education system introduces students to languages. They make you memorise the basic phrases of course, nothing wrong with that, but it does nothing for your comprehension of the language as they don't teach you what "Cómo te llamas" means. It doesn't mean "what's your name," it means "how do you call yourself." This leads to kids saying things like "Mi llamo es John." Hasta luego doesn't mean see you later, it means until later. This leads to "Yo hasta la escuela" as an attempt for "I see the school."

submitted by /u/Grouchy_Survey_5562
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3aB02uE
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments