Anyone else feeling this way?

I hope this is the right place to post this...
For some time I have been thinking about how it is easier for me to express my emotions in a foreign langauge i know, rather than my native one. I feel like dying of cringe when I have to talk about my feelings in Hungarian, yet I feel so much more comfortable when I say the exact same things in English, or even in French, although i can barely speak the latter. I once heard that it has to do with the way you were raised, if your parents (speaking your native language) did not show you affection with words, then you will have a harder time doing it yourself later on. Speaking another language apparently helps to disassociate from that. (It might also help that I watched a lot more movies in English, which contained emotional scenes and dialogue.) It is even more strange because i have lot more vocabulary in my native language, but i still feel this way.
Just curious if anyone else experiences this, and perhaps also knows about a study or something where they describe this phenomenon... it is intriguing to me.

submitted by /u/Spitfire_CS
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/Hey8YWB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments