I struggle choosing languages. What can I do to deal with this?

I know the title and the question themselves are pretty simple and superficial, and that the response is probably more simple than you'd imagine. It's not like there's too much complexity to this topic but I guess I didn't know how to deal with it.

One of my biggest problems is that I lack discipline and I can't make decisions. If I go to a restaurant, I need 10 minutes to choose what I'm going to pick. If I'm deciding a day to hang out with someone, I constantly change dates. When I'm deciding what language I'm going to study, I end up choosing another one in one way or another, thus abandoning the prior.

This isn't something I should be talking about here. But I'm obsessed with languages. I've been pondering for so long whether I should pick a linguistics career in university and, out of all the choices I have, that's prolly the only one I would never say no to. I love understanding how languages work and I love understanding languages as a whole. And I want to pick a language to learn but I never end up doing it with stability.

I've gone from Russian to Finnish, then to Hungarian, and then to Swedish, and I've never kept up with any of those. I'm very frustrated with this and I don't know what to do. I feel and know that I have the capacity to learn a language but I can't apply it at all.

I'm thinking about picking another language I'd have more ease dealing with and try my best to stick with it by getting a grammar book or helpful resources, but I'm very afraid my haphazard behavior would end up making me abandon it.

Somebody give me some advice, please.

submitted by /u/LeipaWhiplash
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/Y2fh6Kx
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments