Why does "tu" translate to "you" in so many languages?

Afaik there's tú in Spanish, tu in French, tu in Italian, and thou in archaic English. It's not only Western languages, there's तू (pronounced tu, slang for तुम which means "you") in Hindi, ꢡꢹ (pronounced tu) in Saurashtra (my native language), and a lot more. Why is this? It makes sense for it to be common in Indian languages, but how do so many Western languages have it too?

Edit: Yeah I knew it had something to do with a language like Latin, but my question was how that is related to these Indian languages. I'm now learning that it's because all of these belong to the Indo-European family. I'm not very involved in linguistics 😅

submitted by /u/prawnydagrate
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/xUcaWD3
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments