Overwhelmed on where to start / Comprehensible input vs fundamentals

I'm interested in learning Spanish. I learned a bit of it in High School, and some bits and pieces from friends who speak it. I've decided I want to take learning it seriously, but I'm a little overwhelmed by where to start.

It seems like there are two different camps of people, people who prefer to study the basics of the language first, and people who say that doing the basics is a waste of time, and that all you need is comprehensible input.

Is doing the basics really a waste? Shouldn't I be doing both? Is comprehensible input overhyped?

I'm interested in hearing how people here learned their second language, and what they found was the most effective use of their time.

submitted by /u/thats_so_merlyn
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/Ha3cdGX
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments