Stuck and not sure how to continue.

Hey people of reddit! I've been learning Polish for the past 7 months. (I know English as my first language and Greek as my second, which I speak fluently)

I started learning Polish since my father is Polish, and since I hold Polish citizenship and identify as a Pole, I should definitely know Polish. My father is with me constantly, but we talk in English since that is what we're used to (I'd like to note I'm in mid-teens, may be useful information). We've talked about talking in Polish, but every time we start, within 3 sentences we switch back since I can't express myself.

I've been learning as I mentioned earlier for 7 months. I have an almost perfect accent, which is enough to make people think I'm a native when I ask people a question, but is also followed with a shock when I say I have no clue what they're talking about. I'm not sure how to work on my vocabulary (since this seems to be the issue). I've been using flashcard apps for a few months, but it leads to burnout since it's so repetitive and nothing is going on. Plus, as someone who's really busy with school, work and family, and who doesn't have many Polish friends, I can not really practice anything. To learn vocabulary with my dad I need to know vocabulary as otherwise I can't construct sentences.

What should I be doing? It seems like the main issue with me is listening, constructing sentences and vocabulary (which are all in one way or another linked)

Apologies for the large wall of text. Any help is appreciated.

submitted by /u/thealtofmine
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/RZlerEJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments