How to stop translating things I don’t need to?

I can’t find an answer to this in the FAQ or by searching, moderators. I hope this doesn’t get deleted a second time because I don’t think it is against the rules.

Original post:

I assume that stopping translating completely will come with time, but I’ve been getting frustrated lately when my brain insists on translating things that I don’t need to. Like if I see the phrase “Cómo estás?” in Spanish. While I’m far from fluent in Spanish, I’ve studied it off and on since middle school, so I’ve known that phrase for 30+ years. Yet my brain always still translates it to English. It makes trying to consume media a lot more tedious.

TL;DR: is there a way to shut off the translator in my brain to consume language more naturally?

submitted by /u/chicky75
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/dqU0kp7
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments