Help me finding a language (subjective decision)

Hello language-freaks

I hope that this question is allowed here. I want to learn a new language as a hobby but im very unsure about it because there are a few factors that i have in mind that are important for me and i would appreciate it if you would give me your opinions on it.

Im thinking about learning Chinese (Mandarin), Arabic or Indonesian.

First of all, i want to learn a new language as a hobby because to be brutally honest, I dont have too much other hobbies. My native Language is German and in general, im rather bad at learning languages but i hope i can fix this by just learning everyday (--> Not too much hobbies --> enough time).

Besides the fun aspect, there is another important aspect that i would like to mention: It would be great to use this language also as an advantage in my Job later. Chinese and Indonesian are languages that only a few people speak in the western world, so it would be a huge advantage for my career. Arabic on the other side is way more common over here so im not sure if it's that much of an advantage compared to the other languages.

You could argue that Indonesian is a rather simple language but this is also a huge disadvantage in this case because i expect a rise in Indonesian-Speaker as soon as people realize the global economic importance of the whole region.

I want to study by myself and with a mentor which is no problem for Chinese and Arabic but a problem for Indonesian, since there are almost no courses available (there are some but I don't have too much money...). While I don't know a single person that speaks chinese, i have some friends that speak arabic so practicing would be easier when learning arabic.

These are my thoughts right now. Please don't think that im trying to learn a language just because i try to gain an advantage but because im actually interested in all 3 countries/regions and can also imagine myself living there and also like how the languages sound. The career aspect is just something that i try to connect with it.

I would love to hear your opinions on my thoughts, maybe you can help me decide.

submitted by /u/Nicuwins
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/yVI4f6T
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments