The guaranteed way to make immersion work starting from A0. (click for description)

This process works for any language. Choose a podcast that is dialogue dense and the speaker is speaking at normal speed, but clearly. Make sure it has subtitles in your native language. You can use auto-translate on YouTube's desktop version or Language Reactor to set up dual language subtitles.

Length doesn't matter as you will break the podcast down into 3 minute segments. Focus on the first 3 - minute segment. Watch the same 3 - minute segment over and over again with subtitles until you understand 75% without subtitles. When I was at A0 Finnish, it took me 60+ times for each video. Once you get up to 75% comprehension, move on to the next 3 - minute segment. 60 times 3 minutes is 3 hours, so in the beginning, I did one short video clip per day. You might spread it out over a few days.

The good news is that by the time I got to A1 3 months later, I only had to watch each short video 30 times. Now that I'm at A2, I only need to watch each video 3 times or less. So this immersion strategy pays exponential returns.

I learned this strategy from this Finnish polyglot who runs a YouTube channel called Finnished. She used it to learn Spanish and Italian. https://youtube.com/@finnished?si=Q9A_sqL-R2SY_4-x

It's worked for all my languages and I'm so happy I discovered it, because Finnish grammar is impossibly complicated. I was able to get to A2 without once studying grammar. For example, I know that the genetive form of keittiö (kitchen) is keittiön, because I heard it 1000+ times in context, not because I studied the grammar rules.

For a language like Mandarin with indirect speech and tons of expressions, it's absolutely necessary to get Language Reactor's machine translations for this process to work. The translator uses too much liberty when translating all these idioms, so use caution with any self-authored subtitles.

This is the one immersive process that you'll feel working for you within the 1st 20 hours or so. Not 3 months later if you're using TV shows for immersion. Let me know how this works for you and good luck on your language journey!

submitted by /u/Kodit_ja_Vuoret
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/QtpDZsV
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments