Language interference?

Hi, I have a question about learning multiple languages at the same time.

Background: Majored in French in college (early 90s). I keep it up and am a solid B2. Studied German for a year in college, then took some courses at the Goethe-Institute (in the 90). Self-studied Spanish in college, then took courses off an on in 2006, 2010, 2011. Also had a private tutor.

Last October-started German courses at Goethe-Zentrum (level A1.3) and am now in A2.2. A month ago, I started to self-study Spanish again.

My level for both of these languages is beginner, but neither language is brand new to me. Nevertheless, now that my mind is trying to produce Spanish sounds, I notice that I’m having trouble enunciating German sounds in a way that wasn’t happening before.

1) Will this situation sort itself out as I practice both sound systems? 2) Do you have any recommendations of steps I could take to carve out separate “drawers” in my brain for each sound system?

Any other advice is welcome.

submitted by /u/Berck_Plage
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/abMYAft
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments