How to minimize inference from my first language?

I am a Francophone who lives in Canada, where English is predominant. I've been learning English for about fourteen years. Although I'm quite fluent, I still make some common mistakes. For example, I often mess up my subject-verb agreement, and I struggle with differentiating 'this' from 'that' and 'these' from 'those'. I've been pursuing my Ph.D. at an English university for a year now, but I don't feel my English has improved much. I feel my language proficiency is a significant barrier to building confidence as a graduate student (especially when speaking in public). It feels strange to be insecure about a language I've been studying for over half my life, yet I often feel I'm still not mastering it. Part of it is that I struggle to remove French from my brain when speaking English (or any other language), so I make many mistakes that would be normal French. Any tips on overcoming these issues and minimizing interference from my first language?

PS: I know my writing is better than my speaking, especially since I can use tools like Grammarly and ChatGPT.

submitted by /u/LKB217
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/t2AkU9X
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments