Do anybody else stutter more frequently when having a conversation with native speakers in their target language?

I consider myself bilingual with great speaking skills, though my listening, writing and reading skills are slightly better. I've taken a couple of tests and in most of them I'm usually ranked in the C1 range. However, I started noticing a couple of months ago that my pronunciation of the words in my target language (bear in mind that this is only limited to speaking skills) whenever I have a conversation with a native speaker significantly get worse (gets to the point of that of a B1/B2 level speaker) but that's not the case when I'm speaking with someone who's obviously resorting to it as his second language because of their accent. Also, my lexicon gets narrowed, it is like having some sort of mental block.

If think this has been a huge factor to why I'm having a hard time finding a job that requires an advanced level in my target language. Usually, the interviewers are native speakers, and the mental block happens almost always (so annoying).

Unfortunately, I don't have friends that speak that language with which to have frequent conversations. My proficiency was mostly achieved by having occasional talks with natives, reading books in said language and slowly increasing the amount of internet content that I consume in that language over time as I become more knowledgeable.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

submitted by /u/MainUnderstanding933
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/owq5LcR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments