Choosing a second Romance language

I have been studying French for a while. I don’t exactly know my level, but I can watch films in French. I can generally follow documentaries, read 19th century and contemporary literature. For conversation practice, I have twice weekly classes on italki with my teachers. I’d estimate I’m at C1 for reading/listening and B1-B2 for speaking (depending on the topic).

I would love to add a second Romance language, potentially this academic year or the next one but I really cannot decide what to learn.

For now, my choices are between Spanish and Italian. Eventually I’d like to learn both, but I don’t know what to focus on for now.

Italian: I love the sound of the language and I find it relatively easy to pronounce. I also like visiting Italy and it would be useful to know Italian, especially in smaller towns. Having said that, I do not really like contemporary Italian literature or TV series/films so I don’t know how I’m going to immerse myself in the language.

Spanish: I adore literature written in Spanish, especially 19 century, Spanish literature, and so little little has been translated into English. I can’t say that I prefer Spain to Italy (I would much rather travel to Italy) and I don’t particularly like how European Spanish is pronounced. I do, however, love Latin American accents. But my university only offers European Spanish because I’m in the UK.

I’m so confused and I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you in advance :)

submitted by /u/Prior_Explorer8772
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/SfzJgHw
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments