The Take 5 Technique: Improving comprehension with graded subtitle usage

My reading comprehension seems much further along than my listening in my target language (currently Russian) and I've been lately thinking how I might address this.

I think, for me at least, a large part of the issue is that a lot of the audio I use either has subtitles/immediate translation, which removes the self-study, or it has no translation at all, causing me to get frustrated and return to reading -- thinking better overall vocabulary will help bridge the audio gap. This has led to a bit of treading water with my progress.

To try to more proactively work around listening comprehension issues with a graded approach, I've been experimenting with a "Take 5" technique using subtitles:

  1. First watch: Listen in my target language without any subtitles.
  2. Second watch: Listen in my target language with subtitles in target language.
  3. Third watch: Listen in my target language with subtitles in an oblique language that I know, but less fluently than my native languge (for me, Portuguese).
  4. Fourth watch: Listen in my target language with native subtitles (for me, English)
  5. Fifth watch: Listen with audio in native language.

Then repeating from the beginning. Layers can be added for "laddering" (ie. listening with audio in my oblique language, adding a second oblique language) and in other scenarios where audio or subtitles are missing, layers can be subtracted. However, when multiple audio/written translations are available (ie. using Language Reactor with Youtube or Netflix), this seems to be the best approach for a more gradual scale of discomfort/comprehension.

I'm going to try this daily for at least an hour the next 30 days and then reassess.

Do any of you have similar step-wise approaches? What has worked for you?

submitted by /u/ienjoylanguages
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/JCkvbos
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments