Parsing the overall meaning when listening

I’ve been studying for awhile now and with reading ability I’m probably around a B1ish. Listening is where I’m struggling (which makes speaking hard too). My recall speed when listening is too slow. I might understand every word in a sentence or phrase but by the time my brain processes all of the words together, it takes way too long for a conversation to actually occur (or if watching or listening to something, the person has moved onto the next sentence). Sometimes my brain can’t ever put the meaning all together to understand what is being said, even if I know all of the words separately. I would have no issues understanding the same sentence if I were reading.

How can I improve this? Just “listen more”? Is there anything more specific I can do?

Right now my study routine mostly revolves around graded reading plus some app/flashcard activities and glossika listening on a daily basis, plus italki tutor once a week or so. There’s some other stuff mixed in like some podcasts, and kids tv and books as well.

submitted by /u/sapphiredays
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/UdmbKIG
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments