How did you pick between two languages that you were in love with?

Okay, so I’m struggling to choose between Spanish and French. I studied a bit of French when I was very young, but forgot whatever I learnt, and my language has a noticeable sum of French loanwords (a Levantine Arabic dialect). I also consider myself fairly good at English.

However, I’m stuck on which language to learn right now. Both languages will benefit me just as much I guess; this is mostly for fun. Neither Spanish nor French will significantly open up opportunities at the moment (based on my location), other than acquiring a fun hobby that is both fun and educational. So I don’t want to learn the language that is more ‘useful’, so to speak.

So, since I don’t mind either of these, but do admittedly consider Spanish pronunciation and spelling easier (I am still open to a challenge, so this actually doesn’t discount French entirely). I hated French when I was younger but all of that is in the past, because I do love it now, and I was only nine years old. I do realise that each language has its challenges, I’m not saying Spanish is a piece of cake.

I guess the thing that will make me decide right now is if I choose one of these two choices now, which one will benefit me more when I want to learn the other one in the future? Will learning Spanish now make French easier in the future, or vice versa? I realise that both are Romance languages. Because I do want to come back to the second choice eventually :)

My interests are mostly art, music (I play the piano), literature and history as well as architecture. I don’t know if this matters, but if it helps why not include it!

Thanks for any input <3

submitted by /u/Uiraeth
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2NuEmPq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments