Having a hard month with TLs

TDLR; feeling discouraged for lacking fluidity expressing my ideas

For the past month or so I have been doing some seasonal work and living in a camp situation where most of the people I am working/living with speak either French or Spanish (2 of my 3 TLs) as a native language. So pretty much every day I get to practice both to a certain extent, which is really good. But I have also been feeling suuuuper discouraged lately, because while I speak both passably, I still feel clumsy and awkward trying to express myself a lot of the time.

You know that feeling when it takes you just a beat longer than you want to come up with the word you’re looking for to describe something and the native speaker either finishes your sentence for you before you can or just switches to English because you weren’t fast enough? That’s happening constantly. I feel inadequate not being able to express my thoughts with fluidity.

It’s funny, I never would have anticipated language acquisition to be such an enormous source of daily anxiety and frustration for me, but here we are!

What do y’all have to say about it?

submitted by /u/V1PR3SS
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/NWwiV86
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments