Would Watching TV for 3000 hours without looking anything up make you fluent?

I've reached about a B1ish in two languages over the course of a year and a half and now I want to start immersing in the both of them (starting with just one of them). I have studied a lot of grammar but there are still some small stuff missing. My reading skills are advanced but unconfortable and my listening skills are very bad and I can barely understand anything (even with something like Peppa Pig or Pokémon, I miss loads of words).

I have read post about people learning languages simply from watching hours and hours of tv (I keep seeing a bunch of post about Thai, I wonder if it is a scam.)

I've been getting a little tired of grammar and vocab study and truly want to just start watching native content without looking everything up all the time. So I mean Watching a Tv show raw (in TL without any subtitles at all.) TL subs only seem to help my reading and I really want to focus on listening.

I feel like if I just watched like 3000 hours of television shows in my target language without studying, I would become fluent. Would I be able to understand words from context? I have a lot of free time these days with about 8 hours a day to listen to stuff but I procrastinate so I would shorten it to 6 hours.

I would watch a wide variet of shows from simple to difficult because I like variety.

I'm just wondering if this is a good investiment or a waste of time? Daily grammar and vocab are suffocating me and I feel like I've been making no progress within the past few months.

Tl;Dr: Learning a language. At B1ish, tired of endless grammar and vocab and flashcards, would watching 3000 hours of tv (across all levels) help me or be a waste of time? I specify that I want to want tv shows raw (So in TL without any subtitles st all.)

Would I just understand the meaning of words through context? I don't want to waste an enitre year on something fruiteless.

submitted by /u/Parking_Injury_5579
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/30l1X2n
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments