Anyone use language exchange partners? What has your experience been like? How do you make your time with them efficient?

I have two language exchange partners. And I find that I'm not being efficient with them, and its not either of our faults. We are not teachers so we do not necessarily know how to best run our sessions.

The first partner is great. She pretty much is okay with us making changes so we can find what works best.

The second is very adamant about learning it ONE way, which is have me read a fairy tale in korean (I'm too beginner for the level needed for the fairy tale), and the fairytale has vocabulary that isn't that useful for everyday topics. I'm reaaallly beginner, like, I'm still learning how to say things like, "I heard this from him", "I drove us to the cafe so we can eat lunch". The fairy tale has words like magic, castle, enchantress, and just words that aren't the most frequently used. I don't think I would have a complete beginner learn from a fairy tale. Breaking curses and witches and beasts are not helpful at this stage. I think I feel low-key frustrated about this style.

Yup, that is my experience so far. Lol.

submitted by /u/TokkiJK
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/aNoPtkp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments