Why can I translate a secondary language I know easily to English, but when I translate English to a secondary language, it is difficult?

So, I “know” two languages: English, which I can speak, and my parent’s native language, which I can not speak, but I can understand quite well.

Now, when my parents speak in our native language, I can totally translate that into spoken English most of the times provided the concepts match between the two languages. But if I said something in English, I can not come up with the words to say it in the native language.

I feel like the reason is because I don’t actually speak the native language very well and so naturally, I can’t find the words. But, it is so weird that I can translate the opposite way perfectly fine

Anyone else encounter this and is there a reason for this?

submitted by /u/iOnlyAnswerQuestions
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/ig1xZ26
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments