mixing up 2 languages.

When you have learned several languages to an advanced level, but haven't used one for many years, sometimes your speaking will suffer. I find that when I am trying to refresh the neglected language, unconsciously expressions from the most recently studied language will pop into my sentences in the neglected language. It is maddening. Usually they are simple set words and phrases that represent things that you frequently express in conversation, like "but" "from time to time" "the truth is" etc. Sometimes it is simple words. My neglected language is French and my recently acquired language (over past 6 years) is Spanish. I am always saying "pero" instead of "mais" etc. I have started daily conversations with language partners to exercise my French speech. But I am looking for supplemental exercises that will help with this. It's not really that I have a scarcity of vocabulary in French. I have no problem understanding and reading. But I pretty much don't think in English when I speak either language and that's when the words just come from Spanish into my French. It's unconscious. Any thoughts on exercises to overcome it as much as possible before my trip to France in September? Thanks!

submitted by /u/CompetitiveAd6364
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/KOMeHg8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments