Has anyone else found that the more advanced you are, the fewer compliments you get?

It makes sense intuitively, but I'm only just now experiencing this personally. If you're a beginner or intermediate, people recognize that you're learning, so they'll often encourage you. But if you're advanced, they'll just treat you like you're anyone else who happens to speak that language.

I've been speaking Spanish for about 10 years and studying it with varying degrees of seriousness during that time, but only the past year or so did I decide to really kick it up a notch and start reading novels and consuming more videos/podcasts/TV shows. The other day, someone who I've known for about 6 months happened to find out that I learned Spanish as an adult and she said to me "wow, pensaba que hablabas desde que eras chiquito". This is someone who I exclusively speak Spanish with and I have spoken with her many times. This is obviously a huge compliment, but I was especially taken aback because I usually don't receive any compliments at all. Actually, I do get compliments, but for whatever reason they're always from people I speak English with.

Anyways, my point is, don't feel discouraged if you aren't getting any feedback. Sometimes, it means even more when people don't compliment you.

submitted by /u/congorocho
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/V8WZqnK
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments