Reading in the Target Language

For those who do not want to read my very long text: In short, my question is, after which stage does a language learner reach the same level of comfort when reading books in the target language as when reading books in his/her native language?

For those who want it longer: (Read it taking into account that English is not my first language and I am not experienced in writing in English)

We all agree that when we reach a certain point in our target language, reading is a good way to improve ourselves. As someone who loves to read books, I agree with this even more. My mother tongue is Turkish and I have been reading in English for a long time. I have read philosophical novels like The Picture of Dorian Gray and fantasy literature like the works of George R.R. Martin. I even tried to read poetry, but it was much more difficult than reading a prose text, so I gave up. The only genre I haven't tried to read in English is non-fiction. I've been wanting to get into non-fiction book for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to it until now. After giving this long background, I come to my main question: When does reading a book in a foreign language become like reading in one's mother tongue? I have read dozens of books in English, but I still can't take my phone away from me when I read a book in English to use a dictionary. Because I know that on every page there will be at least a few words I don't know. Of course, this is very few compared to the number of words I didn't know when I first started reading English books (the number of words I didn't know exceeded ten when I first started), but it still doesn't feel like reading in my mother tongue. It feels like every time I read a book in English, I'm reading it to study English, not to enjoy it. Yes, the number of words I don't know per page has decreased considerably compared to when I first started, but I feel as if this number will never go down to zero (even when we read in our native language, we necessarily come across words we don't know, I take this into consideration when I say going down to zero). So I want to ask those who are more experienced, when will I get rid of this problem? When will I be able to stay away from the dictionary while reading a book in English? If not after dozens of books, maybe after a hundred?

submitted by /u/derBardevonAvon
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/ud9kLmc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments