Problem differentiating accents in second language

English is my second language, and I have a problem with differentiating accents. I don't have an issue differentiating a general American accent from a Scottish one, but most American accents sound the same to me, as do most English accents. It's easy to confuse Americans with Canadians or an Irish person with a Scot. I doubt it has much to do with my proficiency, as I study in English and I'm consistently reading dense literature as well as having academic conversations. It is really rare for me to not understand what's being said, yet I have a problem identifying an accent when I hear it. Is this a regular thing that happens with a language as a result of unfamiliarity, or is there something I'm missing?

submitted by /u/yasemin_n
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/KLU4O3A
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments