Would "controlled output" be good enough for improvement?

I've been learning German for a while now and I have a basic understanding of the grammar: verbs, articles, nouns etc.

I feel like that right now it's time to learn some actual vocabulary so I can start to actually use the language to some extent. Since my level in the language is very low, I need to look up 2/3 of the words that I need. If I encounter a word that I don't know, I just translate it but it doesn't stick.

I had in mind some kind of "diary" type thing that I would write every day describing what I've done, my feelings throughout the day etc. I feel like this is actually going to make the words stick in my mind since I'm actually thinking about what I need to write instead of just passively reading it, translating and moving on.
The level of this would increase with time of course, so it can start with "Today I've done this" to "Today I've gone here, talked with this person, felt like this, did some other thing. What I feel of the future, random thoughts" and so on. I could also just write some small essays about some topic that I care about (further expanding the vocabulary I'm more interested in and that I'm gonna use the most)

All of this would make me learn new words, and practice what I have already learned and make it better.

I wanted to get an opinion by some other experienced learners about this, as I've read that sometimes output can actually be bad for you at an early stage and make you develop some bad habits that are hard to get off.

submitted by /u/ItsMeDharmey
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/7mlvHWb
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments