Momentary loss of native language? (I know this sounds odd, just stick with me for a second)

My native language is English. It’s also the primary language I use in daily life. I’m currently taking a French class in school which lasts about an hour and a half each morning. I do nightly Duolingo lessons, and my phone has been set to French since either late September or early October. That is the extent of my exposure to French.

I’d like to make it clear: I am nowhere near fluent. I could not have a conversation with you in French right now even if my life depended on it.

However, I’ve been having weird moments recently where I forget English completely. My thoughts will be in French, anything in English I hear around me will sound like complete gibberish, and if I try to say something: It will be in French.

I’ve typed things on my notes app during some of these occasions and later translated them, finding them to be correct. They’re things I didn’t learn in school, or on my own.

Is there any explanation to this? I know it sounds insane, but I swear I’m being serious. It freaks me out every time it happens.

submitted by /u/historyhistoryhistor
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/0D94pPu
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments