I'm not sure if I should study in the mono/bi/tri-lingual program.

Hello, all.

This might not be the most traditional post on /r/languagelearning, but I thought my fellow language lovers might have some good advice for my current conundrum.

I'm living in a French-speaking region of the world, and I'm enrolled in a university there studying finance. I'm studying at this university specifically because the program is great and I really want to improve my French. The university offers the program either monolingually (French), bilingually (French and English), or trilingually (French, English, and Spanish).

I speak English natively, my Spanish is probably at a C2 level (it's my heritage language), and my French is at a strong B2/C1.

I did a semester in the bilingual program and I didn't like it as much because everyone spoke fluent English so everyone spoke in English with me. However, in groups, it was all French, but I felt weird speaking in French when everyone established that I spoke English.

I'm kind of interested in the monolingual program because I think everyone there is going to feel more comfortable speaking French, so my French will improve. I'm also interested in the trilingual program because I'll get to improve my business skills in all three languages, also, as a language learner, it'd be amazing to have a degree in your field and have it explicitly say "trilingual." That sounds awesome! I'm not so interested in the bilingual program. I will say that this only applies to the core courses, as the specialized courses for my major (finance) will be exclusively in French. I'm also required to study abroad, and I'm thinking of Chile to strengthen my Spanish. I think that if I can study abroad twice (which I'm actively going to pursue), I'm going to see if I can study in Romandy/Suisse Romande or France, to strengthen my French.

Long-term plan: work in finance on Wall Street, and then live and work in Miami. If all my dreams come true, then I live in Latin America and make an American income. Therefore, Spanish and English will always be relevant in my life, English being more relevant, and French to a way lesser degree. Maybe I'll work with Swiss/French/Monégasque/Belgian/Luxembourgish bankers at some point in my career.

Thanks, merci y gracias!

submitted by /u/Heavy_Purchase539
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/pex1RaO
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments