I need advice

Hello!

I am a Turkish university student, currently studying to become a Electrical/Electronics Engineer. I have taken TOEFL in the past, and qualify as having C2 level fluency. I am currently looking to make use of my spare time on the weekends, to learn a third language. Most of my friends, professors, online forums, and my father tell me that German would be the most beneficial, therefore most worthy language to pick up.

Yet I can never seem to be enthusiastic about learning German. I have taken German during my time in high school, and always got irritated by how rough it sounded, and how "off" the language looked in script.

I am frankly very interested in French. My heart aches when I see something in French and I can't translate it, or understand it when I hear it. The pronounciations, the spelling, it all seems so amazing to me, if not a little hard. I have the means to go to a good course center to pick it up, but thus far have been rendered reluctant by the sheer volume of people telling me just how much I won't need it, and how German is better in comparison.

To be fair, German is spoken more widely across the EU than French, with better prospects for me as an engineer. I do not think, at least for now, I can enjoy learning German as much as French. This is what I need advice on: What language(s) would best serve an engineer, and should that be my main criteria. And are there any other languages that I should consider?

submitted by /u/Arampult
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/sJtkaSQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments