How effective are cultural products (of high difficulty to engage) in language learning?

Not really asking for myself, as I already know the process of studying at beginner/intermediate level has to be enjoyable for me. I'm not a full-time time linguist and don't prioritise being a polyglot (I'm multilingual, sad do appreciate the fluidity of moving between languages I know).

But how effective are specific desires of cultural products of high difficulty in motivating language learning? I'm thinking of common desires of reading Arabic or Russian literature or academic texts in various languages. It takes years to get to that level, such that I'm not so sure that it would be worth the work if the 1st/2nd year of studying wasn't enjoyable for one. It costs either time or time+money.

I also think it would be difficult to isolate other undesirable aspects if you have a very specific desire. I'm an interested in Korean diasporic literature, history and farming lineages (I have Koryo-Saram heritage); but have absolutely no love for the cultural essentialism and purist nationalism that so many native speaking teachers and the Korean learning community promotes. You can make the learning experience and cultural engagement your own to an extent, but it's difficult to entirely isolate unless you're a polyglot for purely linguistic aspect.

If it was moving to a country for a desirable job/better life or pursuing diplomacy; it would be different. Many diplomats I know of don't have a very high level in target languages (Arabic, Persian etc.) and spoken forms are far easier than literary.

submitted by /u/Crackedpeppers
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/pzSs8W6
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments