Best way to go about learning a polysynthetic language?

I am trying to learn the Ojibwe language because my grandparents never passed on the language because of the trauma they faced in residential school. I have made lots of progress on learning grammar rules and stuff and I'm able to form sentences with what I know. I even said something to my Ojibwe teacher and she understood me so I know I'm doing it right, but I'm still really confused on how I'm supposed to memorize some of them.

​

When asking a question you put the word, "Aaniin" or any other question word first in the sentence. When asking questions, the word that comes right after always goes under a vowel change. This is what I'm having trouble memorizing.

​

"a" becomes "e"

"aa" becomes "ayaa"

"e" becomes "aye"

"i" becomes "e"

"ii" becomes "aa"

"o" becomes "we"

"oo" becomes "waa"

"ji" becomes "ge"

"ga" becomes "ge"

​

Another thing I'm having trouble with is memorizing words. I heard that the best way to learn new words is to use them in sentences to see them in context. How am I supposed to do that if they conjugate so much in a sentence? With so many suffixes and prefixes... Another thing is that people say to learn the most common words. What exactly counts as a word in polysynthetic languages? Should I just memorize the morphemes and how to piece them together? If so, how would I even get good at speaking it and listening? I would have to break down what each word part means when a speaker talks just to understand what they're saying

submitted by /u/RezzedUpDoggo
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/VFxUW35
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments