Best way to go about learning a polysynthetic language?

I am trying to learn the Ojibwe language because my grandparents never passed on the language because of the trauma they faced in residential school. I have made lots of progress on learning grammar rules and stuff and I'm able to form sentences with what I know. I even said something to my Ojibwe teacher and she understood me so I know I'm doing it right, but I'm still really confused on how I'm supposed to memorize some of them.

When asking a question you put the word, "Aaniin" or any other question word first in the sentence. When asking questions, the word that comes right after always goes under a vowel change. This is what I'm having trouble memorizing.

"a" becomes "e"

"aa" becomes "ayaa"

"e" becomes "aye"

"i" becomes "e"

"ii" becomes "aa"

"o" becomes "we"

"oo" becomes "waa"

"ji" becomes "ge"

"ga" becomes "ge"

Another thing I'm having trouble with is memorizing words. I heard that the best way to learn new words is to use them in sentences to see them in context. How am I supposed to do that if they conjugate so much in a sentence? With so many suffixes and prefixes... Another thing is that people say to learn the most common words. What exactly counts as a word in polysynthetic languages? Should I just memorize the morphemes and how to piece them together? If so, how would I even get good at speaking it and listening? I would have to break down what each word part means when a speaker talks just to understand what they're saying

submitted by /u/RezzedUpDoggo
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/VFxUW35
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments